The Latest: Australia to Receive First Doses of Moderna Next Month
CANBERRA, Australia – The Australian government has said Moderna will become the third COVID-19 vaccine available in Australia next month. Prime Minister Scott Morrison said Australia’s vaccine regulator approved the Moderna vaccine for adults on Monday.
CANBERRA, Australia – The Australian government has said Moderna will become the third COVID-19 vaccine available in Australia next month.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison said Australia’s vaccine regulator approved the Moderna vaccine for adults on Monday.
The first million doses will arrive in Australia at the end of September and 10 million doses of Moderna are expected to be delivered to Australia this year, said Health Minister Greg Hunt.
Australia suffers from a shortage of Pfizer vaccine and an overabundance of locally made AstraZeneca, which many refuse to take due to the low risk of blood clotting. The states of New South Wales and Victoria, where cities are stranded due to virus outbreaks, have stocks of more than a million unwanted doses of AstraZeneca, media reported.
Only 22% of adults in Australia’s population of 26 million had been fully vaccinated as of Monday. The government hopes to have provided a vaccine to every Australian adult who wants one by the end of the year.
MORE ON THE PANDEMIC:
– Canada begins to re-allow vaccinated U.S. citizens to visit
– The impact of the pandemic on the Tokyo Games is the dream of the Olympians in Paris
– Find more AP coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/coronavirus-pandemic and https://apnews.com/hub/coronavirus-vaccine
HERE’S WHAT ELSE IS:
BEIJING – More than 30 local officials have been fired or received other sanctions for failures in handling the latest wave of the virus in China.
Officials fired for failing to fully implement the anti-pandemic measures included a vice-mayor, heads of city districts and health commissions, as well as staff from hospital management departments, hospitals and hospitals. airports and tourism.
China’s National Health Commission said on Monday that 94 new cases of domestic transmission had been recorded in the past 24 hours. Of those, 41 were in central Henan Province, which has been hit by deadly floods in recent weeks.
Another 38 cases have been reported in Yangzhou, a city neighboring Nanjing, where China’s largest epidemic since the start of the pandemic has been traced. The highly contagious delta variant spread among Nanjing airport workers and has since spread from tropical Hainan Province in the south to Inner Mongolia in the far north.
As the total number of cases in the outbreak hovers around 1,500, a small number compared to those occurring in other countries, Chinese authorities have renewed travel restrictions, locked down communities and cordoned off the entire area. Zhangjiajie city, with a population of 1.5 million.
China has administered more than 1.7 billion doses of the vaccine in its country, although it does not disclose how many of its 1.4 billion people are now fully protected. Chinese vaccines are given in one, two or three doses, but questions have been raised about the effectiveness of domestic vaccines as the delta variant continues to spread.
MELBOURNE, Australia – The state of Victoria in Australia is lifting its pandemic lockdown from Tuesday, except in the city of Melbourne.
Australia’s second most populous state imposed a seven-day lockdown last Thursday over concerns over the spread of the delta variant of the coronavirus.
But Victoria Prime Minister Daniel Andrew said all cases detected in Victoria in recent days had been in Melbourne, and 11 more were reported there on Monday. Containment will therefore end in the rest of the state from Monday at the end of the day.
The neighboring state of New South Wales on Monday reported 283 new coronavirus infections and one death from COVID-19 in the last 24-hour period. The death toll from the last outbreak first detected in Sydney on June 16 is now 29.
Sydney has been on lockdown since June 26 and will remain under strict pandemic restrictions until at least August 28.
NEW ORLEANS – With the outbreak of new coronavirus cases in Louisiana, the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival will not be returning this year.
The festival is traditionally held in the spring, but it was scheduled to take place October 8-10 and October 15-17 after being canceled last year due to the coronavirus pandemic.
But organizers on Sunday cited “current exponential growth” of new cases in the city and region as they announced the festival would not go as planned.
They say the dates for next year are April 29 to May 8.
Jazz Fest celebrates the native music and culture of New Orleans and Louisiana. The music encompasses almost every style imaginable: blues, R&B, gospel, Cajun, Zydeco, Afro-Caribbean, folk, Latin, rock, rap, contemporary and traditional jazz, country, bluegrass and everything in between.
MIAMI – Ready to party at one of South Beach’s most glamorous nightclubs? Then roll up your sleeves. LIV offers free COVID vaccines outside of the Miami club where the big guys spend up to $ 20,000 just for a table.
The star-studded nightclub, where Super Bowl champions celebrate at parties that inspired lyrics by Drake and Kanye West, has set up pop-up COVID vaccine sites over the weekend to attract the younger population .
The Sunshine State set another record over the weekend. On Saturday, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported 23,903 new cases of COVID-19 for Friday. This exceeds the previous day’s record of 22,783 new cases.
The LIV and Story clubs were closed for about a year during the pandemic and reopened in April. Owner David Grutman, the king of South Beach nightlife, who also owns a restaurant and hotel with Pharrell, said: “We’re thrilled, we want to stay open and we know the only way to do that is to get people vaccinated. , so we want to make it as accessible as possible.
The Associated Press