21st annual festival for gourmets who like it hot
LARGO, FL – For all those folks who put hot sauce on their scrambled eggs for breakfast, order their piping hot Bloody Marys, and have whole habaneros as a snack, this is a festival for you.
Proclaimed the biggest hot sauce festival in Florida, the 21st I like it Hot festival will be held this weekend at the Largo Event Center, 6340 126th Ave. N., Largo, with hot sauce makers from across the state competing for the trophy for best spicy concoction.
The two-day pet-friendly festival also features a Pepper Eating Contest, Hot Sauce, Salsa, and BBQ Sauce Lover Contests, Spicy Lolly Lick-A-Thon, Hot Hula-Hoop Contest , whip-cracking demonstrations and lessons from the Tampa Amateurs of Bay Whip and live music.
The free festival will run from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday.
- Entries for the Hot Sauce Amateur Contest will be accepted from 10 a.m. to noon on Saturday and the winner will be announced at 3 p.m.
- Entries for the Pepper Eaters Contest will be accepted from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Saturday and the contest will begin at 2 p.m.
- The winner of the vendor’s hot concoction contest will be announced at 3 p.m.
- Entries for the amateur salsa competition will be accepted from 11 a.m. to noon on Sunday and the winner will be announced at 3 p.m.
- Entries for the Amateur Barbecue Sauces Contest will be accepted from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and the winner will be announced at 3:00 p.m.
- The Hot Hula-Hoop competition will take place at 1 p.m.
- The Lick-A-Thon Spicy Lolly will take place at 2 p.m.
- The winner of the Favorite Sellers contest will be announced at 3 p.m.
Participants will have the chance to taste a variety of hot sauces and salsas and vote for their favorites, taste a range of spicy foods provided by a local food truck, purchase live pepper plants and get expert advice on the perfect rib rub. and spice up bland dishes.
Some of the popular hot sauce and barbecue makers who participated in the festival include:
The event is sponsored by Magic plant farms, specializing in organic peppers from all over the world.